Monday, March 03, 2008

In Which I Seethe



This has me boiling and banging my head on the desk.
"This" being a column in this weekend's Washington Post
by Charlotte Allen titled "We Scream, We Swoon. How Dumb Can We Get?"
in regard to some woman acting like idiots over Obama.
If she had left it at that, I might be agreeing.
I'm a little annoyed at the gals who scream and act silly about Obama.
Unfortunately Allen goes on to say that all woman are the
dumber sex because some of us think Obama is hot, watch Oprah,
read chick lit and can't do math.

Seriously, you ask are you sure this is not and article from The Onion?
Yes, I would assume the gal is serious and this is the Washington Post.

Sure I think watching Oprah is dangerous, and stupid and a complete waste of time (and that one of my reservations about voting for Obama is my extreme Oprah hate and a need to make sure she does not feel more powerful then she already does) and I hate Chick Lit, but I don't think that is because women are stupid, I think it is because some women have really crappy taste.
I can't do math, not because I am a chick, but because I can't do math.
It would be just as easy to bring up all the craptastic things men do, generalize them and decide that there really is nothing more moronic on earth then a man.
If men are so smart how does one explain The Man Show and American Gladiator?

There is so much in her article to piss me off that I'll let the gals over at Jezebel and Feministing
and Firedoglake where there are tons of ~gasp~ really smart women speak for me.

I will comment on this:

So I don't understand why more women don't relax, enjoy the innate abilities most of us possess (as well as the ones fewer of us possess) and revel in the things most important to life at which nearly all of us excel: tenderness toward children and men and the weak and the ability to make a house a home. (Even I, who inherited my interior-decorating skills from my Bronx Irish paternal grandmother, whose idea of upgrading the living-room sofa was to throw a blanket over it, can make a house a home.) Then we could shriek and swoon and gossip and read chick lit to our hearts' content and not mind the fact that way down deep, we are . . . kind of dim.




Tenderness towards men?
WTF?
Maybe I'm not a chick since when I look at most men, tenderness is last emotion I feel.
Or does she mean tenderness for them because in the end they are like little kids?
Or does she...arrrggghhhh...I give up.
I think I'll go hug my washing machine and be happy to make this house a home.



EDIT: Here are a few stats about how "stupid" women are from the comments on Feministing;

"For every 100 girls who graduate from high school 96 boys graduate"

"For every 100 women who earn a bachelors degree from college 73 men earn the same degree."

"For every 100 women who earn a masters degree from college 62 men earn the same degree. "

"For every 100 women who earn a doctorate from college 92 men earn the same degree. "

(The National Center for Education Statistics)

No comments: