Friday, November 16, 2007

The Brief History of the Dead



I read about 2 or 3 books a week.
Mostly mysteries, mostly forgettable.
I begin a number of books each week, but I do not
finish all of them. Life is just too short to read a sucky book.
I have been meaning to discuss the better ones, the ones
I took the time to finish.

Last night I sat down to begin The Brief History of the Dead by Kevin Brockmeier.
Last night I finished it too.
Once I began I could not put it down and at only 272 pages it was a fast read.
The book alternates between Lara Byrd, a researcher stranded in the Antarctic after a virus has killed everyone on earth and the City of the Dead.
That's really all I want to give away.
Except that it was a lovely little book about life and death, memory and love.
Get it on Amazon, or better yet, support your local independent bookseller.

No comments: