Wednesday, July 29, 2009

I Hope I Have Parathyroid Disease

Went to my Doctor the other day and while I was there I mentioned the blood tests he did last year that he had wanted me to come back and retake that I blew off because the gal who called said he was worried that my cholesterol count was high and I was all like "of course it was, I had a meatloaf sandwich before I went in".
One year later he is like "no, I was worried because your CALCIUM level was high in the blood test, your cholesterol is fine".

Oh.
OK.
So we redid the blood test and HE called me this morning to tell me that he was making an appointment for a nuclear thing to see if I have Parathyroid Disease. It involves the parathyroids (who knew we had these? raise your hand) and a tumor.
Not cancer...he kept telling me not to worry about cancer.
Once they know for sure they will go in and remove the parathyroid in what seem to be a pretty easy and fast procedure.

I hope I have this.
Why?
Because the symptoms read like a who's who of what has been fucking wrong with me for years :
  • Confusion, foggy thinking
  • Muscle cramps. A tingling sensation in the hands and feet.
  • Loss of energy, always tired
  • Trouble sleeping, waking up at night.
  • Feeling bad, but not able to say the reason
  • Loss of interest in activities, inability to concentrate
  • Changes in personality, more irritable or cranky
  • Bone pain, especially in the legs
  • Heartburn (GERD)
  • Decreased sex drive
  • Frequent headaches
  • Thinning hair
  • Heart palpitations (arrhythmias), high blood pressure
  • Depression
The last month I've gotten worse and it would be so wonderful to feel normal again and not like some tired crazy bitch who wants to sleep all day and/or fight with my husband and son.
(of course I could just be going though menopause)

1 comment:

ClubVintageFashions said...

Julie,
Yes, I have heard of this....because they think I have one of those tumors too. Seriously, when they told me I had too much calcium in my blood I thought that's a good thing right? No weak brittle bones.....oh no....not so....I also have almost no Vitamin D so I have been on high doses of D all summer to see if that lowers the calcium level without surgery for the dreaded tumor. (What a joke)
As far as the list of lovely symptoms....got them too!
I hope your scan goes well, it sounds like you have a good treatment plan....unfortunately, all I have is HMO insurance....it is code for horrible medical organization....or the do nothing that costs money plan.