Saturday, November 27, 2010

Cake Tips




I have been messing around with cake recipes the last 6 months.
My favorite has been the Coconut Cake and an Italian Cream Cake I got from America's Test Kitchen.
Yum, but pains in the ass, so they are not cakes for just everyday.
I tried their newest yellow cake recipe and while it was very good, it was not that much better then a box cake mix. What I did take away from it was the trick of making the cake according to the package (in my case a Duncan Hines Moist French Vanilla) except in regards to the eggs. Here I put in one whole egg and 2 eggs yolks (set the whites to the side) then mix according to package...though I always add a bit more vanilla. After that is done you whip those egg whites into stiff peaks and then just gently fold it into your mix until the white streaks are gone.
You get a fluffier and lighter cake.
So I go for an easy cake in exchange for a homemade butter cream icing.

2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened (60-65) cut into chunks
1 cup powdered sugar
3/4 Dutch Processed Cocoa (I use either the Hersey's)
pinch salt
3/4 cup light corn syrup
vanilla
8 ounces chocolate*, melted and cooled a bit*

So I melt the chocolate in a double boiler and set aside.
Put the butter, sugar, coca and salt in processor and pulse till smooth...maybe scarping sides once or twice.
Then add the corn syrup and vanilla, process until just combined
Scrape sides and add melted chocolate (see note*) that is 80-100 degrees
Process until smooth and creamy (10-15 seconds)
Use right away or make ahead and keep in fridge (it will stiffen up and you will need to get it back to room temp.

*So here are the notes about the chocolate.
They used Godiva baking chocolate (milk or semi-sweet) which I have, but today I used half Baker's semi-sweet and half Baker's German Chocolate and I like that mix better.

Enjoy.

No comments: