Friday, September 05, 2008

Ugly American

This post on Huffington Post pretty much sums up the way I feel about Sarah Palin, without my meanness.

Many pundits in reviewing her polished performance claim to see an unflappable and gung-ho winner on stage. My honest-to-goodness visceral reaction was quite otherwise. What I saw on that stage was the personification of small-minded smugness, an utter lack of humility, a kind of self-righteous entitlement based on little more than puffed-up narrowness. She struck me not as plucky but, rather, as stunningly immodest--to the point of arrogance. Some people are arrogant and maybe deserve to be. They know it, and flaunt it, while everyone else thinks they are jerks. But there's another kind of arrogance, perhaps harder to spot at first, an arrogance that apparently doesn't even recognize itself as such, a sanctified, self-satisfied presumptuousness that flows from sheer naïveté about oneself and the world and manifests itself in giddy ambition.


Sanctified, small-minded smugness.
Yep, I know this person.

1 comment:

Dorothea's Closet Vintage said...

word.

I blogged a bit about this travesty myself today, first foray into talking politics.

hope it doesnt tank my website (har har)

Ang