Monday, February 06, 2012

Woman In Black


I love The Woman in Black by Susan Hill.
Terrifying book.
So I was excited they were making a movie version.
Went to see it today.
Enjoyable Gothic ghost story, no gore, and with lots of bits to make you jump.
If you have read the book then you will be disappointed (I was) in the way they changed the story around since it lost some of the pathos and depth, but Mr. Goddess has never read it and he liked it as a good old fashioned ghost story. 
Very much a homage to old style Hammer Films.
I will not mention how attractive Daniel Radcliffe looked in period costume and scruffy jaw since that would be pervy, we watched him grow up for heaven's sake. He plays terrified while angry very well and looked to have the weight of the world on his shoulders. Of course he's been playing that part in Harry Potter for years, but still this was well done on his part.

Supporting actors Janet McTeer and CiarĂ¡n Hinds (really, there has been a nice flurry of films with him in prime parts lately) were excellent as always. Roger Allum in small part at the beginning made me smile, I was not sure his character really was sorry to send Radcliffe off to Eel Marsh House at all.

So it was better then War Horse (there was a great movie in there somewhere), not as good as Tinker Tailor Solider Spy, which means I was not disappointed paying for it as long as it was a rush hour show.

And I will be sleeping with the lights on for the next week.

No comments: